artist musician podcast

Episode 20: Danny Wood on His New Album, Look at Me

Danny Wood of New Kids on the Block has joined me this week on Jump Start Your Joy to talk about his brand new album, Look at Me. Danny founded “Remember Betty” to support patients and survivors of breast cancer, in honor of his mother, Betty, who passed away in 1999. This is his seventh solo album, and the proceeds will all go towards the foundation.

An Interview with Danny Wood of New Kids on the Block on Jump Start Your Joy

Creating this episode has been an amazing experience, one that has moved me, delighted me, and brought me so much joy. It was an absolute honor to speak to Danny, he is kind, generous, and deeply devoted to the NKOTB (New Kids on The Block if you are not familiar with that abbreviation) fan base. He loves his mother deeply, and while she is gone, she continues to inspire Danny.Danny Wood on his new album, Look at Me, an Interview on Jump Start Your Joy

In doing the research for the interview I had lots of fans tell me that Danny has inspired them, that he gave motivational speeches on the NKOTB cruises, that his run to benefit Remember Betty was the best thing they’d ever done. My son’s preschool teacher lit up when I told her about the interview (I knew she was a fan), and she told me that Danny had inspired her to lose weight.

Danny Wood Look at Me, an Interview on Jump Start Your Joy

In the midst of finding out as much as I could about Danny Wood, I discovered that I couldn’t really talk about Danny without talking about the love and generosity he has shown to his fans, and in turn, the love and honest admiration his fans have for him, as a person. The fans are an integral part of his story. And so, for the first time, I’ve opened the mic, and invited fans to share how a guest inspires them. The result is amazing and beautiful full circle view of a man, musician, leader, brother, father, and son.

'Through loss and tragedy you can sometimes gain beautiful things.' Click To Tweet

Here’s what Danny and I talk about in this episode:
– what inspired him to write this album
– his feeling about on his family and fans
– what the New Kids getting back together has meant to him
– how he sees his fans, and what they mean to him
– his loving memories of his Mother, Betty, and how her memory is kept alive by family and fans
– the words of wisdom from his Mother, that inspire him every day
– how he and Donnie used to sneak out to take their Moms to dinner, back in the early days of NKOTB
– how the Blockhead community always rallies together, and the impact that has had on fans who have been diagnosed with breast cancer
– what his foundation, Remember Betty, does to support survivors and patients with breast cancer

Get the Full Transcript

Dantranscript2

Get the full interview with Danny in your inbox (and join the Joy Chronicles). Yay!

itunes_banner_jsyjstitcher_banner_jsyj

Resources
Danny Wood official website
Remember Betty site
Danny’s New Album: Look At Me (on Amazon)

Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
    January 20, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I had no idea he had an album coming out. I love my new kids, so I will check it out for sure.

January 21, 2016 at 5:20 am

Robin, I’m enjoying it at work on Spotify πŸ™‚

Kacie
    January 20, 2016 at 9:39 pm

He clearly loved his mother a lot, and it’s wonderful to see him passing on that love and kindness to others. What more could a Mother ask for! I think Betty would be so proud!

January 20, 2016 at 9:48 pm

What a fascinating musician. I haven’t even heard of him but always on the lookout for new artists!

Alissia Haggard
    January 20, 2016 at 10:59 pm

What a neat experience for you! My husband took me to see them a couple of years ago and it was so much fun!

January 21, 2016 at 5:18 am

They are a great band, and honestly, so much fun!

Jaclyn
    January 21, 2016 at 12:28 am

What an amazing legacy he’s leaving behind! That’s a great reminder of taking care of how we impact others.

Erin
    January 21, 2016 at 2:42 am

Oh my word, I had no idea he had an album coming out. Is it appropriate to fan girl shriek now?

January 21, 2016 at 5:18 am

Yes! Totally appropriate, and encouraged! πŸ™‚

January 21, 2016 at 2:48 am

I had no idea this album was coming out! I can’t wait to listen and to learn more!

jill conyers
    January 21, 2016 at 9:01 am

I’m not familiar with this artist but this sounds like it was a great experience for you.

Cathy M
    January 21, 2016 at 4:19 pm

How tragic to hear of yet another person affected by breast cancer πŸ™ I applaud Danny Wood for using his influence in the music industry to open up and connect with others about the struggles of dealing with this horrible disease, and donating the profits to a good cause.

Jamie @ Coffee With Us 3
    January 21, 2016 at 4:24 pm

It is so sad that he lost his mother to cancer– an all too common experience these days. Good for him for channeling that pain and his devotion to his mother into positive things like this new cd and Remember Betty. I’ll keep an eye out for Look for Me.

laura londergan
    January 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm

I saw him promote this on the Today show I believe this week and it’s so great that he using his music to keep the memory of his mother going through doing this. We all know someone touched by cancer and it’s great to bring awareness any way we can.

Michelle @ Sunshine and Hurricanes.com
    January 21, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I had no idea NKOTB was back together or that Danny Wood had a solo career. It is always so inspiring when a person can use their pain to help bring change and help others.

MyTeenGuide
    January 21, 2016 at 11:06 pm

I’ve never heard of him before. I will check out his album.

January 22, 2016 at 1:51 am

Ahh! I love NKOTB! I had no idea that Danny had come out with so many solo albums! I remember hearing about his mom passing away from breast cancer. It is such a sad thing, so many are affected by it.

Becca
    January 22, 2016 at 1:54 am

I didn’t realize he had a solo career! Who doesn’t love NKOTB?

Roxanne
    January 22, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Such an amazing inside look at Danny. I haven’t followed NKOTB in years so I had no idea what he has been up to!! You’re right he is an inspiration!

CourtneyLynne
    January 25, 2016 at 2:42 am

Omg this is news to me!!! Had no clue he had any new music coming out. I will have to check this out for sure :):)

9 Lessons from a Brand New Entrepreneur - Jump Start Your Joy
    March 31, 2016 at 8:37 pm

[…] almost everything is new. Finding a new rhythm to my days, figuring out how to drive traffic to my Danny Wood episode, finding time to write, all of it’s new. Sometimes this can feel overwhelming, because […]

Sneak Peek: How Does Danny Wood Inspire You? - Jump Start Your Joy
    July 25, 2016 at 9:53 am

[…] If you would like to listen to the full episode, click here. […]