author joyful biz starter leader podcast

Episode 31: Chris Guillebeau on Discovering the Work You Were Meant to Do

Cris Guillebeau joins the show to talk about discovering the work you were born to do, which is the focus of his brand new book, Born For This. Chris is the creator of the World Domination Summit, author of The $100 Start Up, The Art of Non-Conformity, and The Happiness Pursuit. He’s traveled to 193 countries using travel hacking. I’m super excited to bring him on to speak about his new book, Born for This, and to talk about how joy has played a part in his journey, plus get his input on how to bring your dream into action AND ways to jump start your joy.

Chris Guillebeau on Work You Were Born to Do
Joyful Biz Starters Series

I really enjoyed getting to speak to him about his thoughts around how someone finds the work they were born to do. As someone who has had several jobs doing work that felt draining and unrewarding before discovering a career that I really love, it’s interesting to hear how other people go about finding work they love, too.  This discussion definitely influenced how I think about where joy and purpose intersect; and I’ll be diving into that more in my upcoming webinar : When Joy Meets Purpose (you can RSVP for that by clicking here.)

itunes_banner_jsyjstitcher_banner_jsyj

To have more #luck, you take better #risks - Chris Guillebeau. Listen: bit.ly/joychris… Click To Tweet

In this episode, Chris and I talk about:
(2:00) Early “internal” and “external” sparks of joy: reading, playing video games, playing with his brother.
(2:40) impact of living in several foreign countries as a child, and how he was drawn to discovery and exploration as a youngster
(3:40) “the foreign is familiar”
(3:55) how the topic of “Born For This” took shape, and the themes of Chris’ new book. He’s writing how to find the work you were born to do, something that one has an appitude for, and something that brings someone joy. Apptitude + Joy + Sustainable + Good at
(4:40) his desire to crack the “winning the career lottery” code; how some people find a job that they love (and would do for free), and what the patterns are for people who do this, how can he help readers crack this code?
(5:45) how the majority of people don’t have one clear path on what to do for work, and how they can craft a job that they feel they were “born to do”
(6:45) Chris’ journey to finding work he loves
(6:55) Example of Laura Simms’ story – an actress turned career coach who has created a career she loves (hint: trial and error)
(8:30) How in creating a job you love, you leverage your past, and the things you loved about previous jobs and roles
(9:05) how joy + money + flow fit into finding your dream job (some things that bring us joy may not pay the bills, and that makes it a hobby)
(9:40) flow, as something that is easy and makes perfect sense to us
(10:00) how to use the convergance point of joy + money + flow to define your perfect career match
(11:00) Flow as something that’s easy for you is not easy for everyone else
(11:30) considering the environment in which you do your best work
(12:30) What joy means to Chris
(13:35) the role that luck plays in the journey
(15:20) what causes some people to be “stuck” and unable to make a courageous choice, and being inspired by both negative (what happens if I don’t) vs positive (what’s possible if I do) possible outcomes
(17:00) The good news for you – you’re probably already determined to make a change and find what you’re born to do.
(18:10) What Chris feels he was born to do.
(18:55) how the journey since first publishing the World Guide to Domination has changed him.
(19:40) how valuing consensus changed the edginess of his writing and how he’s been looking to change that over the past two years.
(20:00) information about the 30 city tour in support of “Born for This”
(21:20) Chris’ thoughts on how to bring your dream into action (make it tangible)

Chris Guillebeau on Discovering the Work You Were Born to Do

Resources
Chris Guillebeau’s website
Born for This Book site
Link to Born for This on Amazon
Born for This 30 Cities book tour
The quiz on the Born for This website
Myers Briggs Test (MBTE)
Laura Simms “Your Career Homecoming” site

What work were you born to do?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
    April 6, 2016 at 3:25 am

That sounds like it’s going to be a great episode. You guys cover a lot of really cool topics.

Fatima
    April 6, 2016 at 4:19 am

It’s amazing how you can find joy in the things you do every single day. Not many people realize the importance of finding happiness in your life. It sounds like Chris has found the right career path for himself.

karen
    April 6, 2016 at 11:06 am

I am so intrigued by people like him who can find the deals to get places on a dime (or less). The hacking he has done is incredible. I wouldnt even know how to begin! I get excited with just Target coupons! haha…
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

Terri Steffes
    April 6, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Yes! This is true! Anyone who is spending quality time doing what you love is going to be happier and healthier. Great podcast!

Michele
    April 6, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I like this post and I really like the inspiration that comes from it. It’s so true that if someone loves what they’re doing then you will see their work is way better! Great post xx felinebykatsaris.com

April 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Choosing to do something that you love is ultimately more beneficial for your health I feel like I was born for it too! We need to be more confident in our ability to be powerful.

Kait
    April 6, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I love inspirational podcasts and this one certainly does not disappoint! Thank you for sharing it 🙂

karissa
    April 6, 2016 at 6:35 pm

This sounds like a good episode. I love the idea of finding what you are meant to do.

Amber Nelson
    April 6, 2016 at 6:42 pm

This sounds like some very valuable advice. Finding what you are meant to do may take awhile to realize, but when you do, it is worth it.

Hannah | Eat, Drink, and Save Money
    April 6, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Great post. I struggle to find what I’m meant to do. I’ve always envied people who enjoy their jobs because I’ve never enjoyed any of mine (except for blogging). I need more information on figuring out what I’m meant to do!

April 6, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I love the quote about successful people. I completely agree, When people find something that they were born to do, they are bound to succeed.

Angela Bethea
    April 7, 2016 at 1:18 am

Thank you very much for the informative post. I really enjoyed listening to this podcast. I have been meaning to do more with my time and this is a good way to get me started in the right path.

Rose Sahetapy
    April 7, 2016 at 1:28 am

It’s everybody dream if they can find work that they love and make them happy.. The nterview is very inspiring! I like the way you allure the interview.

jill conyers
    April 7, 2016 at 1:40 am

I have discovered my purpose and beginning to live it now. It’s such an amazing feeling.

Siniciliya
    April 7, 2016 at 2:39 am

“The work you were born to do” – this sounds amazing! I believe we all come with a mission in this world and discovering one is such a great feeling. I will definitely listen to this podcast. A big thank you!

Casey
    April 7, 2016 at 5:40 am

WOW, you do some amazing interviews. I’ve been following Chris’s work online for awhile now and it’s great to hear about his new book directly from him.

Amanda Love
    April 7, 2016 at 6:15 am

Sounds like it was a great podcast with some really good advice given as well. I’d however prefer to get the book so I can refer to it whenever I felt like. 🙂

Roxanne
    April 7, 2016 at 7:25 am

Sounds like a really great interview! Now I can’t wait to find this book!! Great post!

April 8, 2016 at 8:18 am

I love how you map out the whole podcast here! That is very helpful. I have wanted to read the $100 Startup for a while now. I think I might check for it on kindle.

nicole torres
    April 8, 2016 at 9:13 am

I like this. I enjoy listening to podcasts. I am keeping this to listen to on my road trip.

Mariah
    April 8, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I am thankful that I found things that I enjoy doing and turned them into businesses at a young age. It creates a world with more potential for me to find other things as well. I am at 3 businesses right now, why not take on a fourth right?!
    I do photography full time, part time I write content for bloggers as a ghost writer, and I started a food blog since I am cooking all of the time anyway, so I get to combine the photography, cooking and the writing all in one! I am not sure that I would start another business, but rather expand on the ones that I have.

CourtneyLynne
    April 8, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Omg love it!!! You have to be a risk taker to succeed! People that take the safe road stay exactly that, safe!

Hannah Adkins
    April 11, 2016 at 6:45 pm

A lot of people definitely struggle with loving what they do and finding out what they were born to do. Great inspirational podcast!