artist author podcast

Episode 37: Mayi Carles on Riding the Beautiful, Messy, Imperfect Roller Coaster of Life

I’m so excited to share the interview I had with Mayi Carles this week! She’s one of the most upbeat and authentic people I’ve met, and I have to say, I could tell we were going to have a great conversation from the moment we started emailing. Mayi is an artist, an illlustrator, an author, and a teacher. She created her “Life is Messy” planners and after they were wildly successful, she went on to create an course around them. As an artist, she’s created something for other artists and creators, and it’s her open, honest, and real approach that makes her so relatable. As a “recovering” project manager I love the way she seamlessly integrates her playful creative side with a planning side. Plus, we chat about owning costumes, red velvet cupcakes, and sprinkling pixie dust, and roller coasters.

Mayi Carles on Riding the Beautiful, Messy, Imperfect Roller Coaster of Life

'I think the best thing we can do is be ourselves.' Go Listen: Click To Tweet

itunes_banner_jsyj

stitcher_banner_jsyj

stitcher_banner_jsyj

I know you’re going to love this discussion with Mayi, Here’s what we talked about:
[5:00] Mayi shares her sparks of joy as a curious and high energy child, having very supportive parents who encouraged her curiosity and enrolled her in dance class
[6:45] How Mayi kept her dance costumes, and would wear them every chance she got
[7:40] What Mayi does now, for a living, being an authentic, real life person and sharing all of her imperfections
[9:00] Being honest about the “messy middle” and what real life looks like, in all of it’s imperfect ways.
[9:40] Sharing all of the imperfections and realness allows for more connection, and deeper connections
[12:00] How sharing her authentic self, and being more open, has allowed Mayi to create a community of “beautifully like minded” people
[13:00] some of my reasons for loving the podcast, and how I do it, it’s because I am authentic, I love it, and I ask the questions I want to ask (instead of comparing myself to other shows)
[15:37] Mayi’s life is messy planners and how they are a perfect blend of project management and creativity, and practicality.
[16:35] Mayi’s family life and her parents (who are a lawyer and a chemist) have been very supportive throughout her career.
[17:45] The inspiration behind Mayi’s planners: She created something for herself, and it’s a planner for artists (anyone who creates) for artists.
[21:25] What’s changed, and how Mayi feels that life has become “messier” since having her daughter, Olivia, 10 months ago
[22:16] Mayi’s reflections on how to be a mother, and have a business. (hint: it’s hard, and she does it by focusing on one thing – either her daughter, or her business – at a time).
[24:37] Mayi’s tip on how to make it easier as a mom (accept help)
[27:13] Why I feel that some moms don’t accept help, for fear of appearing like they don’t know what they’re doing
[28:34] How Mayi helps other people find their super powers, and why it’s a bit like riding on a roller coaster
[32:13] Being part of the “cheerleader” is to also encourage others to get on their own roller coaster, even though it’s scary
[36:17] Mayi’s advice on what to do if you’re new to following your dreams, or what to do if it feels like things fell apart
[39:25] Why the best way to deal with critics is to just be ourselves
[41:39] What we both have placed into the Multipassionate Bundle and why we love it
[44:50] Mayi’s thoughts on how to bring your own dream into action (start! start now!)
[47:39] Mayi’s answer to my favorite question about how to jump start joy in your life (be happy you! plus, bake.)

Resources for this episode:
Mayi’s website:Heartmade

life is messy challenge

Mayi Carles on Riding the Beautiful, Messy, Imperfect Roller Coaster of Life

• Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
    May 18, 2016 at 3:45 am

That sounds like it’s going to be an awesome episode! I can’t wait to listen to the entire show.

• Terri Steffes
    May 18, 2016 at 7:07 am

I love planners, so I am definitely going to check into the planner bundle. I love the quote, and I paraphrase…anything I say yes to is going to further allow me to explore my aliveness.

• Rebecca Bryant
    May 18, 2016 at 7:56 am

Sounds wonderful. I will subscribe and be listening when it’s up. Thank you for inviting me in.

• Kait
    May 18, 2016 at 11:02 am

This is so fitting because it’s National Planner Day! I always love listening to your podcasts 🙂

• Michelle @ Sunshine and Hurricanes.com
    May 18, 2016 at 11:30 am

I totally love planners so I’m off to check out the details on this one! It seems like I discover a new planner almost weekly!!!!

• Sheri
    May 18, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Will definitely be listening – and I love that part of the quote ” We cannot be super in hiding”, This is so true.Planners are the best.

• Paula
      May 19, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I know, I loved that Mayi said that 🙂 It’s funny, “super heroes” are so confident that they wear spandex in public … there’s no hiding there, either!

• Cara (@StylishGeek)
    May 18, 2016 at 2:15 pm

What a wonderful podcast! Thanks for sharing! I’ve been meaning to look for a podcast to listen to while I do housechores. Will listen to yours when I fold the laundry later. Thanks!

• Julie @ Girl on the Move
    May 18, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I am obsessed with planners and keeping my life organized! I also really like how you gave an overview of the podcast with time markers…great way to see what’s coming during the podcast!

• Amber Nelson
    May 18, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Podcasts are so much fun to listen to. This sounds like a great one!

• Carolyn
    May 18, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I need a new planner. She sounds so upbeat and positive and I need a new podcast to spice up my playlist.

• Mimi
    May 18, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I’m such a terrible planner user. I always forget to use them. Not good if you’re planning something, right? Sounds like you had an enjoyable interview! I could also use someone in my life to help me find my super powers. =)

• Paula
      May 19, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Mayi is super good at finding super powers 🙂 I’ve found that setting a time, before I close down my computer each day, to go over my planner helps. It’s more about creating a habit 🙂

• Dawn
    May 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Mayi seems like such a wonderful person. I always love how you leave the questions you asked, and the times they were asked. It makes finding details much easier! A great interview as usual!

• jill conyers
    May 19, 2016 at 12:12 am

I have a feeling this is going to be a wonderful podcast to listen to. Being ourselves. it sounds so simple but not always simple to do.

• Just Plain Marie
    May 19, 2016 at 5:44 am

I’ve just started listening to podcasts when I drive or do my housework, so this is timely. Thank you.

• Paula
      May 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Thank you, Marie! Let me know what you think of the show 🙂

• Kiwi
    May 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

I wanna be a planner girl. I think planning and scrapbooking is overlapping each other so I want to learn more about how I can be a Planner girl better.

• Paula
      May 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Yessss! There is a lot of overlap, for sure 🙂 especially if you love paper products. I think making a planner part of a daily routine helps; once it’s a habit, then it will stick 🙂

• Taylor
    May 19, 2016 at 10:21 am

I’ve been contemplating diving into the world of planners but haven’t yet – can’t wait to listen to the whole episode and get some more info! 🙂

• Wendy
    May 19, 2016 at 11:27 am

This sounds like something I need to put on my must listen to list for the car. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Heather
    May 19, 2016 at 2:59 pm

I love that she focuses on either her business or her child – that is something I struggle with. I always want to concentrate on both!

• Roxanne
    May 19, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Can’t wait to finish listening! If lifebis messy with a 10 month old..wait till you see how messy it gets with a two year old. 😉

• Denea
    May 19, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for the invite super excited. I love that quote and I often feel that way!

• LeAnne Matlach
    May 19, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I’m always looking to add more podcasts to my day, will definitely be bookmarking this interview

• Erin
    May 20, 2016 at 6:45 am

I just love your podcast! This is totally my new walking podcast! 😀

• Leslie Hernandez
    May 20, 2016 at 7:42 am

This is amazing I am a planner junkie lol… so when I started listening ans reading this post I immediately got into it. This was a very interesting podcast its my first one I am usually used to reading blog posts but listening is so much better 🙂

• Paula
      May 20, 2016 at 11:28 am

Thank you Leslie – and yes, I love planners, too! I really enjoy listening to podcasts as I’m driving or doing something at home. Thank you for listening! 🙂

• Cathy M
    May 20, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I am totally bookmarking this and coming back later! I can’t wait to hear the rest of Mayi’s interview with you!

• Ana Cristina Mariño
    May 23, 2016 at 7:13 am

Love the interview! She is a very cool and out there character! and love everything she does. After I heard/read the interview and went on and searched for her planner 🙂