family finances happiness project home

Our Journey to Find a New Home

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind, as we have been house hunting. Somehow the market in the San Francisco area has turned, very quickly, into a seller’s market. Homes are getting multiple bids, people are putting up cash, paying more than the house appraises for,  just to get a house.

Some say it’s because of the upcoming Facebook IPO, the LinkedIn IPO, so much activity in the tech sector. I don’t know what it is, I just know we happened to be looking around the same time as a lot of people.

And I know we had a great realtor who was tireless, who called quickly on another house when I saw it pop up on the listings. It turned out it was back on the market, back as an approved short sale. She worked some magic, the two agents bonded over the buyer who walked on the property and over our losing out on three properties. For whatever reason, the other agent agreed to hold off accepting offers until we had seen the house.

We went. It was cute, it fit us. It has a yard, two bedrooms, two baths. It is close to a great elementary school, a community pool, closer to my sister and her family than the other places we’d looked at. It’s half the distance to work for me. The mortgage will be less than our current rent.

We met the other owner there, and our little boys played together. It felt like a home.

The other agent held the place until we’d made up our minds. The owner called my realtor and thanked her for bringing us by, which has never happened to my realtor before.

We put in an offer and the owners accepted. Our new home is off the market, we’re just waiting for bank approval.

I don’t know how all this happened, how so many things just clicked, how this home seemed to pick us, and how we lucked in to just the thing we’d been looking for. But I really look forward to moving in, to settling in, to getting to know our new home.

homesweethome

Shared with:

friday favorite things | finding joyPhotobucket
GettingDownWithJesus

Tejas
    April 28, 2012 at 8:04 am

Haha! It’s so awesome when things just come together sometimes, no? I enjoyed reading this. πŸ™‚

Randy Robinson
    April 28, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Wow, it’s great that you immediately felt the “home” feeling upon seeing your new home. Your realtor has made a good job of being tireless on supervising your home. That’s home sweet home, indeed! Congratulations, Paula! πŸ™‚

bluecottonmemory
    April 29, 2012 at 3:27 am

Congratulations on your new home and and a new stage in a journey! What a blessing on how it all came together!

I wanted to thank you for the invite for Wednesday’s link up. I’ll be by. I’m just now getting back into the swing of things!!

April 29, 2012 at 7:20 am

Thanks, all! πŸ™‚

Anne
    April 30, 2012 at 7:37 am

Congratulations on your new home. May it be filled with a lot of laughter and love!

Christina
    May 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Congrats! Finding a home is a tedious process but what peace in the end!

Jennifer @ GettingDownWithJesus.com
    May 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Happy homecoming. May all be blessed, who cross over that threshold.

A God-incidence, indeed.

Angie Vik
    May 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I had a few tears reading this. I’ve had a couple similar experiences. It’s so neat when things come together like that and there’s no doubt that God had Hand on the whole transaction. Enjoy your new home. Sounds like God wanted you to have it.

May 7, 2012 at 5:25 am

Thank you πŸ™‚ Yes, I feel like we were meant to have this home. Now we just need to get through the inspection and I’ll be far less nervous!

Genny Stutesman
    August 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Congratulations on finding the perfect house! I know it’s perfect for you because you immediately felt that connection to the house that made you feel like it can be a HOME. And not just any home – YOUR home. I’m sure you’re going to be very happy with and in this new place. It’s been a couple of months since this post, so I assume you’ve moved in by now. How has the adjustment been? Hope to see pics once you’re really settled in!