Franny Burkey is a baker, shop co-owner, and pastry maker at the dreamy “Franny’s Cup and Saucer” in Point Arena, California. She whips up gorgeous cakes, delicious donuts, some amazing gluten free treats, all while working with her mom (and co-owner), Barbara. The shop itself feels like the embodiment of joy, with it’s sweet gifts, tasty treats, and loving atmosphere. When I started creating my list of who I wanted to interview for Jump Start Your Joy, Franny Burkey was definitely one of the first names I wrote down.
And, Franny herself is really one of the most joyous and endearing folks I’ve ever met, and so it was a real treat to get to chat with her for a bit about her childhood, her outlook on life (and business), and what she loves about her work.
In this interview, you’ll hear about:
– Franny’s childhood, growing up in Northern California, and having two parents in the food industry
– How Franny comes up with flavors for her delicious Friday donuts<
– How Franny and her Mom work together, and run the bakery
– The secret of how Franny gets up early, and her positive outlook on why it’s not “so bad”
– What she does to relax, including mixed martial arts and running
– How they’ve established what to buy for their shop in a small town, and what their ideal price point is
– How many wedding cakes Franny makes in a year, and why she loves working on wedding cakes
– My own wedding cake and how Franny designed the cake for our four year old son (with a robot, rabbit, Yoda, and Lightning McQueen)
Franny’s Cup and Saucer website
Franny’s Cup and Saucer Facebook page (check out the donuts here)
Sunset Eating Up the West Coast from Amazon (Franny has two recipes in this 2015 book)
The song I mention at the very end of the interview, with a correction, the song is by Clint Black.
*I am an Amazon affiliate. Links on this page (ones to items I truly love and recommend) may earn me a commission.