I’m so thrilled to have Michelle McQuaid on the show this week! She talks about how to flourish, and we take a look at positive psychology and the impact of mindfully choosing joy on our lives. Michelle is an author, workplace well-being teacher and playful change activator. She and I had an amazing discussion; she shares SO much in this episode that I took three pages of notes while we were talking.
I know you’re going to love what she has to say about:
– the stages of mastery in a career
– what happens at the 7-10 year mark in your career and why you start to feel restless
– what to do when you start to feel restless, and how to find your way back to something more interesting
– how life is a series of “pulses” and nothing is ever truly static
– the problem with the oversimplification of the terms positive psychology and manifesting
– the crossroads of “Grit” and Joy
– how to celebrate failures (and why you should)
– how to give praise that sticks
– how to flourish in your life (there are five areas that you should focus on)
– what balance looks like in Michelle’s life
– her thoughts on jumpstarting joy in your life
I really loved what she had to say about accepting that our lives will be full of highs and lows; and that it’s up to each of us to accept each moment for what it is.
“The reasons we have highs and lows is it’s all a learning process. How do I lean in to every part of life and really show up for the experience this IS, and how do I more consistently flourish?”
Michelle has so much to say about how to flourish, and about the science behind positive psychology, that I created a downloadable version of my show notes for you to keep. There’s honestly so much goodness in this discussion that I found myself wanting to capture it for myself, and you can get my notes right here.
Books that Michelle mentions in this episode:
Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman
Positivity by Barbara Fredrickson
Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
Follow Along with Episode 58
Download Paula's extended show notes with more information about the mastery curve, and the pillars of wellbeing so you don't miss a single detail.