entrepreneur podcast Season 2 Uncategorized

Ep56: Building Virtual Teams & Growing Your Small Business with Tess Blankenship

I’m super excited to have Tess Blankenship on the show this week to share about building virtual teams and growing your small business. Tess is a powerhouse that helps small businesses grow, by providing the virtual (remote) resources that help fill in the gaps. She has an amazing background of paralegal, marketing, and hiring. She and I really hit it off talking about creating efficient processes and workflows (I’m still a project manager at heart, friends).

Are you looking for ways to grow your business and considering hiring a virtual team or virtual assistant? Tess Blankenship has great advice for you in this interview. click to listen and pin for later. www.jumpstartyourjoy.com

There’s so much to digest in what Tess and I talk about that I’ve created an awesome cheat sheet just for you, so you can refer back to all of the thoughts and suggestions we discuss about building virtual teams and growing your small business, and when to start looking at bringing in additional resources.

Grow Your Business Cheat Sheet

All the wisdom that Tess & I share in Episode 56 about what to consider before going into biz for yourself, how to grow, when to hire, plus extra resources.

Here’s what Tess and I talk about:
3:30 Tess’ early sparks of joy (entering her cat in a competition, horses, fort building with her brother), and how my best friend entered her guinea pig in a costume contest.
6:00 Who Tess works with now – small business owners, and helping them hire virtual teams, and set up efficient workflows
9:20 Where Tess sees process inefficiencies pop up – in both larger businesses and with entrepreneurs
10:00 Ideas for businesses on how to improve process and why they should hire a consultant
13:00 Tess’ background (paralegal, marketing, hiring consultants) and her shift in going into business for herself
16:00 Advice on what to do if you’re feeling like you want to “go solo,” or become an entrepreneur
19:00 The problem with getting hung up on making “6 figures”
21:30 Tess’ shares her 3rd piece of advice on going solo
23:00 When is a good time to bring on additional team members? Should you wait until you’re “big enough?”
27:00 Areas to consider hiring out, to start with, as an entrepreneur
34:00 what to look for if you’re considering becoming a freelancer (how to pitch and put yourself out there)
37:30 what might surprise you about Tess’ role as a consultant and remote team builder
39:40 Where to find Tess if you’re looking to hire a virtual team or contractor, or, if you have skills that might translate well to being a virtual team member
40: Tess shares her thoughts on finding balance, and how to jump start your joy

Resources
Tess Blankenship’s website

How have you put processes in place to support the grow?

Robin Masshole Mommy
    September 21, 2016 at 3:55 am

There is so much that goes into building a business. I can’t even imagine all the things there are to think about and do when you own one.

Lindsey Paris
    September 21, 2016 at 4:21 am

I need to pin point my inefficiencies – it would help me be more productive with the little time I have!

Sheri @ A Busy Bees Life
    September 21, 2016 at 6:02 am

She is a great person to have in your corner, for help, support and advice. Very important information to talk about and think about as well as learning.

Logan
    September 21, 2016 at 7:15 am

This sounds like it is so informative! My “business” is my blog, so I would be very interested to hear some of these points discussed further!

Vicky
    September 21, 2016 at 9:51 am

It can be hard for a control freak like myself to farm out work to others but for the sake of my sanity it is so important. No one can do it all themselves.

karen
    September 21, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for this cheat sheet – that will really come in handy and be a lifesaver. I am always looking for tips and tricks from others. This is great!

Rachel Langer
    September 21, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I have learned well the art of delegation. It isn’t just passing off things you don’t want to do. It is finding those who enjoy those tasks and do them well. Not only do these tasks get done, but your team is excited that they got to do something they love and be part of something.

Terri Steffes
    September 21, 2016 at 2:44 pm

A group of us are trying to support one another on Facebook in a group. It just isn’t working and I don’t know why. I hope your podcast will help us figure out why. Thank you!

Terryn Winfield
    September 21, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Thank you of the worksheet. I am quite a ways off before I will be bringing someone on my team, besides my husband. But I do love to look to the future and prepare for things before they are needed.

Amanda Love
    September 21, 2016 at 6:10 pm

It would be nice to start solo and just gradually build a team that will help you succeed. These days it’s good to have a couple of people to help you out especially if you’re already established and looking towards expanding and improving your business.

Taylor Mobley
    September 21, 2016 at 7:58 pm

That is so awesome! It really does take a village! Thanks for the worksheet, too! I love looking towards the future.

September 21, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Thank you, Taylor! I hope it’s helpful ๐Ÿ™‚

Cynthia @craftoflaughter
    September 21, 2016 at 8:33 pm

I so need to listen to this podcast! It sounds like its filled with great information, information that I certainly need

MyTeenGuide
    September 21, 2016 at 11:19 pm

This is a great resource for those who are looking to grow their small business. Having a support team can help a lot.

tp keane
    September 22, 2016 at 6:00 am

Now i can certainly get into this. What a great topic and so desperately needed. Great podcast.

Kimberly
    September 22, 2016 at 7:05 am

I’ve got some innefficienes that I need to work on. This sounds like a great podcast to help push my own business. I need to bookmark this!

Stephanie Clark
    September 22, 2016 at 8:40 am

I am saving this to listen to. I really appreciate listening to others who have been where I am. I feel like it’s hard being the creative mind and the business mind at the same time!

Kori
    September 22, 2016 at 9:31 am

This is something that I need to work on in the near future! Though I’d love to build a physical downline as well, I know that having a virtual team will be equally important.

Rachel Catherine
    September 22, 2016 at 10:06 am

Thanks for the worksheet! This sounds like it would be a great learning experience for anyone interested in growing a business.

Brittany
    September 22, 2016 at 12:46 pm

This is amazing! I’ve been researching so much this year because I want my brand to be a successful business. Thank you for this!

CourtneyLynne
    September 22, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Omg love this!!! Starting your own business is tough! The more tips I can learn from others the better!!

Gillian
    September 22, 2016 at 7:27 pm

What a great resource for growing small businesses! Thank you for the worksheet, so helpful!

Renee @ The Good Hearted Woman
    September 23, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Sounds like you share some valuable information! Becoming more efficient at what I do has been a focus for me this last few months; it is definitely a work in progress.

jill conyers
    September 23, 2016 at 3:50 pm

This is awesome. I can’t wait to listen, but it’ll have to be tomorrow or Sun. Great topic.

Suzanne Spiegoski
    September 23, 2016 at 4:54 pm

So much goes into building a business. I’m glad you found someone you could team up with and brainstorm! Making connections is just as important as anything else!

Whitney S.
    September 23, 2016 at 5:39 pm

This looks like a very interesting topic. I’m sure there is lots of valuable information there. I’m not able to listen this weekend, but I’ll put it on my to-do list for next week!

katrina gehman
    September 28, 2016 at 8:14 am

i have a team of 4 to help run my business and I always am thinking i need more. You have great tips. it would be great to have someone like you come and take a look at my businesses and what we can do differently and better.