coaching podcast

Ep51: Saying Yes to Creativity and Doing What You Love with Tiffany Han

I’m thrilled to have Tiffany Han, creative brand strategist for highly creative women, join me for this week’s show where she shares about what saying yes to creativity and doing what you love has meant in her life. Tiffany has been a life coach, business coach, and has recently segued into working as a brand strategist. And, she’s the host of the wildly popular podcast, Raise Your Hand. Say Yes.

Tiffany Han on Saying Yes to Creativity and Doing What You Love. An interview about being a brand strategist, coach, and following your heart. Click to listen, Pin to save. www.jumpstartyourjoy.com

I love that we talk about branding (one of my favorite topics), and how her own work has changed over the years, based on her relentless pursuit to actively seek out work that she loves. Tiffany has a refreshing no-nonsense approach, and she just “gets it” as far as what it takes to dig in and do the work (from a coaching perspective) and sees the spiritual side of doing branding and coaching work, too. PLUS, we talk about no fewer than three Broadway musicals near the end! Which of course I just love. I’m delighted to have Tiffany be my final interview of season 1, and know that you’ll walk away feeling inspired and rarin’ to start your next creative endeavor after listening to this conversation (if not also googling the soundtrack for Hamilton, Rent, and Kinky Boots).

Here’s what Tiffany and I talk about in this episode:

2:20 Tiffany shares her early sparks of joy: dancing, and lip syncing into a hair brush (Madonna’s True Blue record was a fave), plus watching “Rags to Riches” on TV
4:00 What Tiffany does now: she’s a creative brand strategist for highly creative women, and the evolution of her coaching and strategy career
7:15 Branding as an act of courage; it takes a lot say yes to a brand for yourself – and how this also comes up in my podcasting class (it’s the act of putting yourself out there that is way scarier than figuring out the technology pieces)
11:00 the art of standing out, and also staying in touch with what others are doing within your field (and avoiding comparisons)
12:00 Brandcrush: Tiffany’s branding bootcamp that she runs with Erin Cassidy
13:30 Branding work is hard, and Tiffany’s approach to clients who get hung up on it being hard
14:40 Where entrepreneurs are stuck with marketing, and where they need help
16:45 Tiffany’s take on a clean design aesthetic and what to consider when you’re building your website (hint: what do you want your visitors to do?)
21:00 Tiffany’s path to becoming a coach, including her time working at a non-profit as an events planner
23:00 The hard decision of going after a creative path of being an entrepreneur vs doing an MBA program
25:45 Tiffany’s explanation of “crazyfaith” – having faith in something that doesn’t make rational sense, but extremely powerful
28:30 Why you should start a podcast now, especially if you have that slightly nauseous / excited feeling about it
30:00 “Raise Your Hand, Say Yes” – Tiffany’s podcast (which just started it’s third season!) – she shares what she loves most about it
33:00 Why Tiffany loves snapchat, and the informalness of it
34:30 Tiffany’s reaction to “Hamilton” and why she loves it so much
37:00 We talk about our love of the musical RENT
39:00 Kinky Boots! and Tiffany shares that she is often overcome with emotion during musicals, and well, I am too.
41:00 We reflect on how life and joy are not always about feeling great, but often about seeing what happens when you don’t feel great
45:00 Tiffany’s thoughts on how to bring your dream into action (do something today)
45:30 I ask my final question about how to jump start joy for the last time this season (and use the word verklempt), and Tiffany shares her wisdom.

itunes_banner_jsyjstitcher_banner_jsyj

Resources:
Brandcrush: Tiffany’s branding bootcamp running October 10-19, 2016
Tiffany Han’s Website
Tiffany’s podcast: Raise Your Hand, Say Yes
Rags to Riches, an 80’s musical documentary
Episode 50 with Kris Nations (she also shares about not getting too caught up in what other people are doing)

Saying Yes to Creativity and Doing What You Love with Tiffany Han

How have you said yes to your dreams?

tp keane
    August 16, 2016 at 7:55 am

Such a great pod cast. Often people do accept the doldrum and don’t achieve their dreams because of it. Tiffany sounds amazing.

August 18, 2016 at 12:19 am

Thank you TP!

Rebecca Bryant
    August 16, 2016 at 10:02 am

Once again you inspire me to follow my dreams. thank you.

Ana Cristina Mariño
    August 16, 2016 at 10:12 am

Loved the podcast! I have always been in touch with my creative side and even though I decided to go for a more scientific career (psychology) my dream job is to be a designer lol! Always in the creative side!

Rachel Langer
    August 16, 2016 at 11:14 am

Avoiding comparisons to others. That’s the #1 thing I struggle with for sure! I need to hear this today.

August 16, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I need to look more in Hamilton. I am hearing about it absolutely every where. It sounds amazing.

Kimberly
    August 16, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I love how she seeks out work that she loves doing. It’s so important to be happy in life by doing something that you love. Everybody should aim for that!

Sona Sethi
    August 16, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Very often we get trapped in doing what we are skilled in but not what we love or dream about. Thank you for sharing this. It is truly inspirational on how some people follow their hearts

August 18, 2016 at 12:16 am

Thank you Sona! I love being inspired by other people!

Cynthia @craftoflaughter
    August 16, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Oh my gosh, how have I not heard of your podcast yet!? I loved it, definitely going to subscribe. Thanks so much for a great broadcast

August 18, 2016 at 12:15 am

Hi Cynthia – thank you for stopping by! I’m so glad to have you as a subscriber – please let me know if there’s a guest or topic you think would be a great fit for the show 🙂

Dawn McAlexander
    August 16, 2016 at 8:20 pm

That podcast sounds interesting. I would love to have the time to sit and listen to her thoughts. She could probably help me be a more effective blogger.

Amanda Love
    August 17, 2016 at 7:21 am

I have recently said yes to my dreams. It makes perfect sense, we can’t reach it until we decide to move on our own and actually do something that will make us a step closer to what we want in life.

Shila Soni
    August 17, 2016 at 9:41 am

Loved listening to this episode Paula! Things that really stood out to me were when Tiffany said “You can’t evolve until you start” and earlier when talking about website design and she mentions that just because you want to do something doesn’t mean you should and really focusing on what you want your visitor to do when they visit your page.

This was such a lovely conversation, thank you!

August 18, 2016 at 12:13 am

Shila, I’m so glad you enjoyed it 🙂 Tiffany has so much great advice and it was a treat to have her on the show. Sending hugs!

August 17, 2016 at 11:14 am

Amazing advice here! I think that if you know your passion you really should pursue it. Life is too short to not love what we spend our time doing.

Rose Sahetapy
    August 17, 2016 at 11:55 am

Your podcast always brings inspiration, and the more I listen to your podcast, especially this one the more I want to create my own. I underlined Tifanny Han’s words “the hardest part of any process for people is owning their message and claiming what they wanna tell the world and make a decision.” That’s very true!

Adam
    August 17, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Creativity: Adam, want to work with me?
    Adam: YES!!!!!!!!!!!

August 17, 2016 at 1:51 pm

I said yes to my dream by moving to London even though many opposed my decision. But still I stuck to my guns and I am glad that I did!

Vicky Law
    August 17, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Awesome awesome awesome!!! Sticking to your dreams and embracing uniqueness, really makes your life complete. Thank you for this!

August 18, 2016 at 12:11 am

Thank you, Vicky – I agree, I does make life complete 🙂

M. David Green
    August 17, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I _SO_ recognize that “slightly nauseous” feeling! It’s getting easier to respond to it by doing the thing that’s drawing me forward, now that I’ve started to see the positive results that can happen. Nice validation!

Amanda
    August 17, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Just want to say that I LOVE that you talk about musicals in your podcast episode (Urinetown, anyone!?). And love the energy in this episode, and the advice that if you’re feeling nausea ours about something you should definitely do it. Great interview!

August 18, 2016 at 12:02 am

Ha! I don’t know Urinetown, but now I’m going to have to look it up.

Kiwi
    August 18, 2016 at 12:17 pm

You podcast are always detailed so nicely! We should all do things that we love and more creatively!!

jill conyers
    August 18, 2016 at 1:31 pm

A few years ago I decided to just go for it. Despite the protests of my rational, comfort zone, no risk self. It has turned out wonderfully!

Toughcookiemommy
    August 18, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I agree that it does take a lot of courage to brand yourself. Once you do so, it’s important to stay true to the vision you have for your brand representation.

Ashley Yannello
    August 18, 2016 at 5:47 pm

This is such a great interview Paula! Full of such wisdom nuggets. I totally agree with what Tiffany was sharing throughout 🙂 It’s key to follow your passion, say yes to your dreams and be creative!

Yona Williams
    August 19, 2016 at 12:49 am

Kinky Boots is a new for me, I haven’t heard of that before. OMgoodness…the memories. I LOVED watching ‘Rags to Riches.’

Pierre stanley Baptiste
    August 19, 2016 at 11:35 am

I like her approach about clarity in the midst of creativity. The podcast reminds me of this quotation of Mark Twain ““I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” It’s so easy to be complex while simplicity is key.
    Btw, this actually happened to me, I did disappear my website (lol) once. Agree, branding is more than just about colors or website design. Great Guest!

CourtneyLynne
    August 21, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Omg what a great pod cast girl!!! Loved the interview. So inspirational!

Jump Start Your Joy Season 1 Finale Greatest Hits
    August 29, 2016 at 3:53 pm

[…] Episode 51 with Tiffany Han – I adore Tiffany’s no-nonsense, straight shooting approach to evolving a business … “Come up with the best answer for right now, and then get going.” I have found this to be so true for my own podcast, my podcast class, and so many clients looking to get to “the next thing.” Where do we get hung up? On the idea that things will be way harder than they actually will be. And so they way to get past that? Well, get going already! Listen to the whole episode with Tiffany Han > […]

Robin Rue
    November 2, 2016 at 6:19 am

Podcasts are something that I have just recently gotten into. This one was amazing and so inspiring.

Reesa Lewandowski
    November 2, 2016 at 6:20 am

Thank you so much for inspiring me this morning. It was a rough one and now I have just a little bit more motivation to follow my joy.