life coach podcast

Ep48: How To Bring Your Creative Dream to Life with Host Paula Jenkins

This week I’m talking about one of my favorite topics, how to bring your creative dream to life. Last year, I hosted a weekend long virtual retreat on the topic, and I love to ask guests for their advice on how to bring a dream into action. So, I’ve decided to turn the question on myself, and share my thoughts, along with some of my favorite quotes in this short solocast episode.

48: How To Bring Your Creative Dream to Life - a podcast with Paula Jenkins where she walks through the four steps for you to take to bring your dream to life, now. Click to listen, Pin for later. www.jumpstartyourjoy.com

In working with clients, I find that there are a few places where people seem to get stuck on bringing a dream to life, even when it’s a dream that’s been on their hearts for a long time. The good news is that bringing a dream to life is possible, and sometimes it just takes working through whatever is holding you back, and getting really clear on your commitment to yourself and to your dream. It’s often helpful to have a coach or objective outside person there to help you work through the four steps, which I outline in this episode:
1. Identify the dream that you want to bring to life.
2. Get clear on what’s holding you back from taking the first steps to realizing this dream, now.
3. Establish habits that help you, and support the dream and journey you’re starting.
4. Show up consistently to work on the dream, and be prepared to modify and change as you go.

48: How To Bring Your Creative Dream to Life

itunes_banner_jsyjstitcher_banner_jsyjstitcher_banner_jsyj

4 Inspiring Postcards to Print and Share

Postacard_convertkit

Sign up for this pack of four printable postcards with quotes from Elizabeth Gilbert, Maya Angelou, Meg Cabot, and Steven Pressfield.

Do you have a dream that you want to bring to life? Do you have any advice for someone who wants to bring their dream into action? Share it below ๐Ÿ™‚

karen
    July 27, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I do have a dream that I want to bring to life…and I am taking it day by day. I am trying not to get blah about it not happening overnight. I think perseverance is key…and positive vibes!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

Michele
    July 27, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I wish I could do my creative job 24/7, but that wouldn’t pay the bills just yet.. and I’m still in school hah. Maybe one day. This is great inspiration! Great post xx

Rebecca Bryant
    July 27, 2016 at 2:18 pm

My dream is to be able to support my family blogging. I am working hard towards that gold.

Teresa | Simply Made Fun
    July 27, 2016 at 3:46 pm

My dream (while small right now) is to pay our mortgage myself and pay off our house in 15 years instead of 30!

July 29, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Teresa, I think that’s an awesome goal / dream! Fully owning a home and not having any more payments seems like the kind of thing that would make so many other things possible.

July 27, 2016 at 5:40 pm

I’m not sure if I have this huge dream any longer. I mean I graduated from college, had a fab job, advanced well – got married, had babies – am a momma to three amazing kiddos. Kinda living it yo?

Amber Nelson
    July 27, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I know I have a dream too. It is so important to realize that we can achieve a dream at any age. There is no cut off to the end of dream achieving!

Terri Steffes
    July 27, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Showing up on the days you don’t feel like it. I have to make a quote box of this. Great post, and lots of food for thought, especially showing up!

July 29, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Thank you, Terri! I have found that consistency is really what makes the difference.

July 27, 2016 at 7:12 pm

I love this! I think consistency is the most important part of working on a dream for sure! Great podcast!

July 29, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Thank you, Debra, I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Amanda Love
    July 27, 2016 at 11:39 pm

I really appreciate the four steps that you have here, it’s very effective as well. Setting a goal is important and it’s also important to be aware of what’s stopping you from achieving it so that you can plan accordingly.

Megan McCoig
    July 28, 2016 at 12:44 am

What a great post. I so believe it’s true that you can to. I believe in taking small steps, ones that aren’t too stressful, and that’s the best way to getting to your dream. A thought out plan always helps.

jill conyers
    July 28, 2016 at 3:10 am

Great selection for a podcast. I’m bringing my dream to life as we speak.

Kim
    July 28, 2016 at 8:06 am

I love pulling out inner creative side. It’s where I feel most comfortable too. Great ideas!

Wendy
    July 28, 2016 at 8:06 am

Thanks so much for sharing this! It is a great reminder that I need to get clear on my dreams.

Yvonne Sowell
    July 28, 2016 at 10:46 pm

It’s my dream to write a children’s book someday, but right now my lifestyle as a mom is putting a damper in the progress. I’m sure it’s really a lame excuse. I am trying to find my groove back though. Here’s to achieving our dreams!!

X
    | YvonneSowell.com |

July 29, 2016 at 6:54 am

This is amazing! I can’t wait to listen to the whole podcast. I think that for me, trying to find the time to sit and really flesh out my dreams has been the hardest part. With three kids and homeschooling it seems like I am always doing something else, and putting “me” for last. I am working on that though ๐Ÿ™‚

christina aliperti
    July 29, 2016 at 9:39 pm

I love this so much. Everyone needs to have a creative outlet where they can bring those dreams to reality. We all have so much on our plates but we must make time to do this for ourselves.

HilLesha
    July 29, 2016 at 11:51 pm

I do have a few dreams that I want to make a reality. I do know that they may not happen overnight, but I’m happy with the fact that I’m working on them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rose Sahetapy
    July 31, 2016 at 6:36 am

I agree with you. Consistency is the based to keep on giving the best – work,ideas, creativity- into the action in order to make our dream come to life.

M. David Green
    August 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm

That process–especially the part about showing up and modifying as you go–really makes sense. Coming from an agile perspective, I think it’s vital that people recognize the importance of adapting as they make progress, so they don’t lose sight of changing priorities and context. Very nice!

August 2, 2016 at 10:17 pm

M. David – I love that you’ve brought the agile angle in here. So much of my background is from project management; I fully understand the desire to have a plan, but then a good and truly comprehensive plan also has points in it where you assess if change is needed. Thank you for bringing this up ๐Ÿ™‚

Adam
      August 3, 2016 at 11:17 am

I second the message from M. David’s comment. Great episode, would like to see more solo ones with you!

Malek
    August 3, 2016 at 10:17 am

Absolutely loved this! Great advice on how to bring dreams to reality and you teach it in an actionable way, great stuff Paula!

Amanda
    August 4, 2016 at 6:31 am

Love this, Paula! It reminds me of a quote from the Billionaire PA, “Speak your dreams into existence”

I love how you’re helping your clients not only identify their dreams but also giving them the tools to start taking action towards their dreams โค๏ธ

One of my dreams is to help heal and empower a billion people in my lifetime โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

Stephanie
    August 4, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Super inspiring.

August 4, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Thank you, Stephanie! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jaime Stapleton
    August 5, 2016 at 11:09 am

I will be hanging onto this one! Really hit home for me.. I’m relatively new at following my dreams, and as with all things there are hiccups along the way; learning to keep focused on our heart and making our dreams become what’s real is so powerful!

Pierre Stanley Baptiste
    August 5, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Nice post Paula,
    I like your references about the wart of art. This is a great book for everyone who wants to develop better work ethic and beat procrastination.You are right, the time will never perfect to start. Like the tips about listing all the things that are holding you back. Incremental baby steps and soon we become a giant

Ashley Yannello
    August 7, 2016 at 11:32 am

This is great Paula! Definitely full of wisdom and nuggets for anyone that is wanting to bring their dreams into existence. As a fellow podcaster and writer consistency is a HUGE key. It’s just what you said – it’s showing up no matter what.

August 8, 2016 at 11:31 am

Thank you Ashley! Showing up is the key; there are days when sometimes it feels hard, but moving beyond that is important – to prove to ourselves that we can, and to provide a consistent relationship with an audience ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so glad you stopped by, and I will go check out your show!)

James McReynolds
    November 2, 2016 at 7:50 am

You are wonderful. My dream has lasted a lifetime. I first studied JOY in an experimental course at Vanderbilt University Divinity School in 1971. My vision “is to create an atmosphere where joy and miracles happen.” In 1991, my wife and I attended Dr. Norman Vincent Peale’s School of Practical Christianity. During the course I talked about my dream of sharing joy. In front of the entire group, he said, “I anoint you Minister of Joy to the World.”
    I have published 12 books on joy. My last two were THE SPIRITUALITY OF JOY:THE LEAST DISCUSSED HUMAN EMOTION and just this week, DANCING WITH GOD: A THEOLOGY OF JOY. I love travel and I have shared my joy
    in every nation and territory in the world. I am nearly 75, and I believe like C.S. Lewis, “Our older years are the power years.” I am retired, but I still conduct retreats and teaching called Visionquests for Joy. Iamin my 18th year as campus minister for Southeast Community College in Lincoln and Global Ministries Representative for the Nebraska Region of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the United Church of Christ in Nebraska.

November 2, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I’m so glad we’ve come across each other’s paths, James. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We definitely have so many things in common – congratulations on your many books and continued dedication to joy.