podcast solocast

Episode 33: When Joy Meets Purpose with Host Paula Jenkins

This week I’m talking about the role that Joy and Purpose play in our lives, and how to find and maintain more of both. Over the last seven months, and, even more so over the last 2 months, many of the conversations with guests have focused on how they find joy, and how they help others to find joy. Many times, that joy is very closely tied to someone also finding their purpose. The two dance together, and when you can maintain and engage both joy and purpose, it seems that you can also maintain contentment.
When Joy Meets Purpose on Jump Start Your Joy

In this episode, I share:
– The Ebb and Flow Nature of joy
– The Joy Trajectory – my thoughts on how we experience joy in our life
– Meet your Inner Joy Advocate – my own work and life has led me to believe that we do have an inner force that nudges us towards happiness, sometimes before we ourselves actually decide to take the first step
– Definition of Purpose – what is purpose in our life, and what does it look like?
– We are all Story tellers – humans like to have resolution in their life; we are no different
– 3 Ways People Return to Purpose – based on my observations working with clients and from guests of the sho
– Your Purpose is not a Project – purpose is not something you can “projectize;” it will reveal itself, but often on it’s own timeline
– The Dance of Joy & Purpose
– 5 Ways to Keep Joy & Purpose Engaged – I believe there are ways to keep both joy and purpose engaged in your life. I share my top five ideas here.

itunes_banner_jsyj

stitcher_banner_jsyj

stitcher_banner_jsyj

Resources:
Rising Strong by Brene Brown (on Amazon)
Born for This by Chris Guillebeau (on Amazon)

Julie
    April 19, 2016 at 8:52 am

I think it’s sometimes easy to forget what our purpose is amidst the day-to-day. But I’m definitely happier and have more joy when I know what my purpose is!

April 19, 2016 at 1:43 pm

What a great concept for a podcast. I think that finding your purpose is so important, but so difficult! I always want to do all.the.things, narrowing it down is hard πŸ™‚

Lara
    April 19, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I totally agree that we have an inner force that nudges us towards happiness! I met my now boyfriend when I was 14 and we were never more than friends. Fast forward 14 years later we re-connected on instagram and we’ve been inseparable ever since. Back in high school I knew we had a connection and we just had to go threw a lot of bad relationships and cities and both moved back to our home towns but we found each other and have never been happier!

April 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I love this! And congrats on rediscovering each other, and finding a special relationship! πŸ™‚

April 19, 2016 at 7:10 pm

This sounds like just what I need right now! I am floundering a little bit and this sounds like it has amazing ideas to set me back on path!

Casey
    April 19, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I love The Joy Chronicles! And Rising Strong is a recent favorite book of mine. I’ve been looking into the book by Chris G.

Rebecca Kelsey Sampson
    April 19, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Such a great podcast idea! I love learning new things about happiness, career, and everything related so I;ll have to subscribe and listen to this on my commute. Thanks for sharing!

Be the author of your own story,
    Rebecca Kelsey Sampson

Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    April 19, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I often tried my best to find joy. I realized that I was the happiest in my life when I stopped searching for it. You had some great advice.

Alice Teacake
    April 19, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I believe that happiness is right there for the taking in our lives. You need to remain open to it though, seize it and make the most of it. If you close up, you close up a lot of opportunities and purpose in your life.

April 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I love this, Alice. And I agree!

becca
    April 20, 2016 at 6:46 am

This looks like a really motivating and uplifting podcast. I’ll definitely have to listen to this later!

tp keane
    April 20, 2016 at 7:54 am

It’s so easy to bet bogged down with life, so easy to lose that joy. I’m loving this post right now.

April 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Thanks, TP! It is easy to get bogged down. Thank you for stopping by.

Jesenia
    April 20, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I’ll have to check this out when I work on laundry. My favorite time to listen to podcasts. πŸ™‚

April 20, 2016 at 2:39 pm

It’s a great time to listen to podcasts! I love to listen in the car, too πŸ™‚

Amanda Love
    April 20, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Finding your purpose is a great topic to listen to. I am still trying to find my purpose after all these years. Will be listening to the podcast.

April 20, 2016 at 2:56 pm

This podcast about joy is the kind of motivation I could really use right now! I need to get my head in the game and think positively!

Denea
    April 21, 2016 at 6:12 am

This podcast makes me happy! I needed this today because I am in a funk! Thank you!