coaching loveyour2016 podcast religion & theology

Episode 25: Christy Tennery-Spalding on Self Care and Sacred Focus

Christy Tennery-Spalding is an amazing healer, activist, writer & self-care mentor. She works with world changing individuals to help them craft amazing self-care practices. She is the author of Setting Gratitude Free, and the creator of Sacred Focus, a cool online course she’s running right now. I’m so very excited to have her on the show this week.

It was such a delight to get to meet Christy, because, from the moment we started talking, It REALLY felt like we were old friends, just catching up. I love the vibe of this episode. What I really loved is that even though we have very different religious backgrounds (she’s Buddhist and I’m Christian), we reached a beautiful “common ground” on what it looks like to bring sacred into your every day.

I’m happy to add this episode to the “Love your 2016” series, as we got to talk about resolutions (and what to do if you’ve fallen off the resolution bandwagon), and because Christy shares so many amazing ideas around how to truly take care of yourself in ways that don’t have to involve bubble bath (although it totally can).

Love your 2016 series on Jump Start Your Joy
Christy Tennery-Spalding on Self Care and Sacred Focus
On this episode, Christy and I talk about:
– falling in love again with the world
– grew up loving the outdoors, writing, and traveling with her family
– identifying with being a “Multi-passionate” individual, and what that means
– ideas on how to juggle and catalog all of your amazing thoughts if you also have a brain that comes up with lots of different ideas
– how the pain she had as a young person from scoliosis has shaped and changed how she sees things now
– how activists and world changers are often also multipassionate people, and why this can lead to burn out
– what self care is
– the crossroads of joy and self care
– the definition of “Sacred Focus,” and how you can spend more meaningful and focused time in your life by pairing down what you do and what you commit to
– how to get back on track if your 2016 resolutions have not gone as you’d planned
– Christy’s resolution (around books)
– why her phone’s “airplane mode” is her secret weapon
– the culture of “striving” and why it’s better to let things be easy

itunes_banner_jsyjstitcher_banner_jsyj

Resources:
Christy’s website at christytending.com
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert on Amazon
Marie Kondo: The Life Changing Magic of of Tidying Up on Amazon
The Renaissance Soul by Margaret Lobenstein on Amazon
Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher on Amazon

Christy Tennery-Spalding on Self Care and Sacred Focus

Christy Tennery-Spalding on Self Care and Sacred Focus

What felt like magic when you were a kid?

Melisa
    February 23, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Great podcast Paula! Thanks for the reminder that making a little bit of time for ourselves is self-care and can have great impact. Nice interview.

February 24, 2016 at 7:09 am

Thank you, Mel! It was so great getting to chat with Christy 🙂 and I’m so glad you stopped by for a listen!

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Thank you so much! It was such a delight to be a part of Paula’s show. I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

February 28, 2016 at 10:25 pm

It is important to focus on self-care and is something that I am seriously lacking in. I need to take some time out and give it back to myself x

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Ana, good luck on your journey. It’s important, but it might be easier than you think. Just a few minutes here and there can have a big impact.

February 29, 2016 at 5:42 pm

I love this! I have been concentrating on self-care a lot for the past several months. I did a 31 days series on self-care in the midst of three little ones this past October, and while I definitely let a lot of it slide over the holidays, I am trying to get back to most of it.

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Heather, that’s so awesome! Good for you. I wish you lots of luck in your self-care journey.

Megan McCoig
    February 29, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Fantastic podcast! Self care is so important and many people forget about it! Thank you for the reminder X

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thanks, Megan! I’m so glad you enjoyed this – I hope it serves you well.

Rose Sahetapy
    February 29, 2016 at 7:22 pm

We’re just too focus to other people sometimes, and forget about ourselves. Self-care is important. I like this kind of post, involving an interview. Nice work!

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Thanks, Rose! I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

CourtneyLynne
    February 29, 2016 at 11:31 pm

What a fantastic podcast!!!! Self care is so very important. If we can’t take care of ourselves, how can we take care of anyone else 😉

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Thank you so much for listening! I’m glad you liked it. Self-care is super-important. Always glad to be spreading the word!

Eva/ Kid Minds
    March 1, 2016 at 12:39 am

Great podcast! Self-care seems so selfish when you have small kids, but you made such good points.

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 10:41 pm

It can feel selfish, but you have to fill your own cup first, y’know? Glad you enjoyed it!

Tess
    March 1, 2016 at 6:20 am

What was totally fascinating and unexpected was hearing a different lens put on essentialism and ‘the one thing’ approach. The whole “do less but better” is my fav way to approach life!

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Hey Tess! I’m far too much of a Renaissance Soul to limit myself to one thing, but fewer things done better? I can get behind that. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Yona Williams
    March 1, 2016 at 8:13 am

Enduring the pain of scoliosis when young sounds like it would have a profound effect on someone’s life. Art is something that I’ve kept up with as an adult; and it still makes me feel like a child when I get down and dirty with colors and different materials.

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Hey Yona, it was profound. But I’m also really grateful. It’s put me on this path and made me a more empathetic and powerful healer. 🙂

I think that art and creativity are fantastic forms of self-care. Keep it up!

Toughcookiemommy
    March 2, 2016 at 1:40 am

These are some very therapeutic topics. It’s important to make time to discuss important topics that contribute to our wellbeing.

Christy
      March 4, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for listening! I’m glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

Real Self-Care: 108 self-care ideas for world-changersChristy Tending Healing Arts
    March 30, 2016 at 10:15 pm

[…] Listen to an uplifting podcast. Try Jumpstart Your Joy. […]

Friday Circle :: kindness, joy, and cute, fuzzy animals - Christy Tending Healing ArtsChristy Tending Healing Arts
    May 20, 2016 at 3:35 am

[…] episode of Jumpstart Your Joy, a truly delightful podcast with fascinating […]

Best Podcasts for Self-Care - Christy Tending Healing ArtsChristy Tending Healing Arts
    June 22, 2016 at 11:48 am

[…] My episode! This was the first-ever time we spoke, and as (I hope) you can hear, it was instant friendship! […]

Jump Start Your Joy Season 1 Finale Greatest Hits
    August 23, 2016 at 10:55 pm

[…] Episode 25 with Christy Tennery-Spalding – pretty much from the moment Christy and I started talking, it was clear a friendship was in the works. In this clip, she and I met about 2 minutes prior, and we start laughing about how comfortable pants are one of the hallmark of self-care.  As it is with Christy, there’s levity, and love, and this beautiful sliver of spot-on genuine wisdom. Listen to the whole episode with Christy Tennery-Spalding> […]

Ep54: Finding Balance, Gaining Roots & Wings with Christy Tennery-Spalding - Jump Start Your Joy
    September 8, 2016 at 1:24 am

[…] Resources Christy’s website at christytending.com Our brand new course: Roots & Wings (get $10 off with the code EARLYBIRD) Christy Tennery-Spalding on Episode 25 of Jump Start Your Joy […]

September 8, 2016 at 1:24 am