Marla Cilley, founder of Flylady.net, is a true inspiration. I found her site over ten years ago, as I was going through a divorce and knew I needed to find a way to take care of myself and my home. I had started the search, thinking that I simply needed to find ways to clean and declutter, and to get my life back on track. What I found was Marla’s loving wisdom, her “Flying lessons,” her support, a lot of humor, a fun community, and a renewed sense of who I was. For this, I’m grateful.
I’m so honored to have Marla as a guest for today’s episode as part of the “Loving your 2016” series. It was a true joy to speak with her, and to spend time soaking up her love and joy-filled philosophy. If you are feeling overwhelmed by the state of your home, or you’ve made organizing your life a priority for this year, I encourage you to listen, and to visit Flylady.net for more resources. She offers all of this for free – and you are in for such a treat.
In this episode, we talk about:
– how Marla arrived at her current zone cleaning process, including the overwhelming amount of cards and lists that she started with, trying to “perfect” an organization process
– shining your sink, what it is, and how that changed Marla’s life
– that two resolutions that started everything
– Marla’s take on the word perfect (and how she corrects me when I use it!)
– the food addiction, and why foods evoke memories and provide an endorphin rush. (along with why Mac n Cheese was Marla’s go to food when she got stressed, and why I run for peanut butter and chocolate).
– an easier way to clean your bathtub
– a great way to keep bathtub toys stored, and Flylady’s first viral post on facebook
– making cleaning fun
– why having a wall calendar is important for organization and teaching our children
– why Marla calls “jobs” or chores “blessings”
– why it’s important to release things that don’t bring you joy
– the power and importance of complimenting other people
Flylady.net – Marla’s website
Marla is the author of “Body Clutter,” and “Sink Reflections,” both are best sellers, and I can not recommend them highly enough.
Sink Reflections – Marla’s first book (on Amazon)
Body Clutter – Marla’s second book (on Amazon)
Eric Dodge, Why Not Today (on Amazon)
Pam Young and Peggy Jones card file system (Side Tracked Home Executives) on Amazon