author coaching podcast

Episode 14: Secret Bad Girl: A Journey of Sexual Trauma Resolution with Rachael Maddox

Rachael Maddox is the recent author of the book “Secret Bad Girl” in which shares her own journey. Subtitled “How I broke my long-standing sexual trauma spell and grew vibrant, vital & free. A provocative memoir & wildly wise resolution guide,” her book relays her story, and offers insights on how anyone under the trauma spell can reach full recovery. Rachael is a coach, a singer and songwriter, and a teacher, plus she’s funny, real, and so genuine. While it’s a tough topic, we both laugh plenty and share how joy really IS possible, even after living through a traumatic event (Rachael’s past trauma being sexual trauma, mine being PTSD related to childbirth).

Secret Bad Girl with Rachael Maddox on Jump Start Your Joy

In this episode, Rachael outlines some of her findings in researching how to resolve sexual trauma. She shares that trauma is something stored in the body, the result of a person’s fight, flight, or freeze response not being fully resolved after the initial trauma incident. In her work, which involves extensive coaching, training, and research, she’s found that resolving sexual trauma is something best done through somatic (body) work. Her approach is heartfelt, genuine, and something she’s lived through.

Rachael had a successful kickstarter, and her book is now available for download on Amazon starting 1/19/16.

In this episode, Rachael talks about:
– what trauma is, and how it remains in your body long after the trauma event
– the definition of a trauma spell or trauma cloud
– different kinds of trauma, such as post traumatic stress disorder and rape trauma
– Rachael’s path to healing, which started at Adult Circus camp
– suggestions for addressing trauma in your own life
– Rachael’s Dream Tour around the US this last summer
– her song, “live” on the podcast, “Shake”
– where I fess up about one of my core desired feelings being “enraptured” and Rachael’s insights on how rapture means to “be your longing”
– the Celestine Prophecy of Everything (Rachael’s take on her role in the world)

itunes_banner_jsyj

stitcher_banner_jsyj

Resources:
Rachael’s website at RachaelMaddox.com
Sign up for the 12/22/15 webinar episode to work on your 2016 goals
Episode 10: Molly Larkin (I reference this in the interview)
Peter Levine’s book, Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
(on Amazon)
Danielle LaPorte’s book The Desire Map: A Guide to Creating Goals with Soul (Core Desired Feelings) (on Amazon)

Singing into Joy a Podcast interview with Rachael Maddox on Jump Start Your Joy

Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
    December 10, 2015 at 11:15 am

Wow, I can’t even imagine all that poor girl went through. Happy she is able to share her story and hopefully help others.

Esther @ The Cuteness
    December 10, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I love reading stories of empowerment. It sounds like she’s been through a lot, and she’s used her pain to propel her forward and hasn’t let it stop her from accomplishing big things. Very inspiring!

December 10, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I am going to listen to her podcast later on as I was abused and bullied as a child and have severe anxiety and depression as a result. I find it very difficult to stay out of my head so this might help me.

December 10, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Wow. This is a great topic, one that unfortunately does not get enough attention. I can’t wait to listen to the podcast. It looks like there is a lot of great information here. Trauma is something that can be so alienating.

Jen K
    December 10, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I cannot even imagine. I am so glad she is shedding light on this subject.

tiaras and tantrums
    December 10, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Hopefully this podcast will help women who are in need at this moment in their lives.

Logan Can
    December 10, 2015 at 11:15 pm

I studied this topic a little bit in school (I was a psych major) and it is so sad to me how many people deal with this and experience traumatic events in their lives. I am always so encouraged to read about people’s positive testimonies and how they can and have worked through it.

December 11, 2015 at 6:04 am

Hi Logan – I agree, it’s interesting to see how different people react to things. I love that Rachael took the stand and dug in.

Stacey
    December 11, 2015 at 1:20 am

Rachel is right, trauma comes in all kinds of forms. I know that by speaking out she is helping many others. Good luck to her!

tp keane
    December 11, 2015 at 1:41 am

Bravery is learning to love life again when others would crumble and die. Heroism is sharing that journey with the world.

December 11, 2015 at 6:03 am

TP that’s a lovely quote – 🙂 thank you for stopping by!

OurFamilyWorld
    December 11, 2015 at 1:58 am

She’s been through a lot, but good for her for using her trauma to bounce back. I wish her all the luck.

December 11, 2015 at 2:05 am

This sounds like a fascinating read. I would love to look into it!

Michelle @ Sunshine and Hurricanes.com
    December 11, 2015 at 2:12 am

It’s so inspiring when someone is able to overcome their negative experiences and then use their journey to help others heal.

Blythe A.
    December 11, 2015 at 3:33 am

Though I’ve never been through the type of trauma Rachel has, her quote really speaks to me. I can’t imagine what it takes to overcome what she has gone through to live a bigger, fuller, more joyful life.

December 11, 2015 at 6:02 am

Thank you Blythe – I agree, her point of view is so inspiring 🙂

JanetGoingCrazy
    December 11, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Wow, what a brave young woman to share her experiences. I bet this helps a lot of people!

Cathy M
    December 11, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I find it interesting to see how different people react to things, and I loved reading about Rachel’s strength. So empowering!

CourtneyLynne
    December 12, 2015 at 1:39 am

Omg what an Empowering story! So sad that she went threw all of that but takeaway she can now tell her story and help others

ashleigh
    December 12, 2015 at 3:35 pm

What a story she has to tell. It’s so great that she is finding a way to speak up and help others.

Yanique
    December 12, 2015 at 8:57 pm

When it comes to trauma the body absolutely keeps score. I think this young woman is courageous for sharing her journey. I’m sure her experience will be of service to someone in a similar situation.